Academics on Mastodon
This repository contains a collection of various lists of academics on Mastodon. These lists are curated by many awesome folks across various disciplines, so make sure to give them kudos as well!
Table of Contents
Curated Account Lists
The following are curated lists of academic accounts on Mastodon by discipline. If you would like to start your own group, head over to the original repository, fork it, adapt it, and publish it. Then, make sure to add your list here by proposing a pull request!
These lists are opt-in only, so if you would like to appear on one or more of these lists, click their link. The lists provide instructions. Many lists even provide a form which you can fill in yourself. If you notice that a list violates the opt-in principle, please notify us so that we can take action.
Select, opt-in lists are also available though this handy web app.
There are also groups over on Mastodon that you can use to connect to fellow academics. Start your own or view more groups here.
These bots provide automated access to a few preprint servers.
If you notice malicious behavior by these bots, please notify us.
If you are in academia and do not know where to register your account in the fediverse, you may find some space on one of the following instances:
- 18th Century Mastodon (For scholars of eighteenth-century global culture, history, literature, philosophy, and ideas)
- airpollution.science (air pollution scientists)
- academiccloud.social (Login via AcademicID, which covers universities, higher education or research institutions in Lower Saxony (Germany), members of the Max Planck Society and other partners)
- akademienl.social (focused primarily on Dutch academia)
- Archaeo.Social (Anthropologists/Archaeologists/Historians)
- Astrodon.social (Astronomy, astrophysics, astrophotography, and adjacent sciences)
- Atmoschem (Atmospheric science & adjacent sciences)
- Ausglam.space (Australasian Galleries, Libraries, Archives, Museums and Records)
- Climatescienc.es (Climate science and related fields)
- Datasci.Social (For Human-Centric Data Science and Adjacent Topics)
- Design Lounge (Middle and High-School Design Teacher Community)
- digipres (digital galleries, libraries, archives, museums, and special collections, digitital preservation)
- ecoevo.social (biological ecology and evolution)
- EconTwitter.net (Economics)
- Fedihum (Humanities, with a focus on Digital Humanities)
- Fediphilosophy (Mastodon instance for academic philosophers; server guide & rules)
- Fediscience (General science)
- Genomic.Social (Genomic Science Community)
- glammr.us (galleries, libraries, archives, museums, and special collections, records, memory work)
- h-net.social (Humanities and Social Sciences scholars, hosted by H-Net)
- High Performance Computing
- Human Computer Interaction
- Humanities Commons
- Julia Language
- Law Professors
- Legal General Interest
- Mastodon.Art (Creative Arts)
- Mastodon.energy (Energy & climate professionals)
- Mastodon.ngo (NGOs, nonprofits, and those in the human rights space)
- Mapstodon (GIS, mapping, geospatial and cartography professionals and enthusiasts)
- MIT (Unoffical)
- mstdn.science (Primarily Microbiology, but all sciences welcome.)
- Open Educational Resources
- OpenBiblio (For German speaking librarians and information specialists)
- Qubit (Scientists and engineers interested in quantum computing, sensing, and communication)
- redNiboe (Academics in Latin America, invite only)
- Religion Mastodon (Academic study of religion)
- Scholar.social (invite only)
- Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL)
- Scicomm.xyz (Science communicators)
- ScienceMastodon.com (Science journalists and scientists)
- Sciences.Re (French-speaking Academics)
- Sigmoid.social (Artificial Intelligence)
- Social Sciences
- Synapse Cafe (Neuroscience)
- Universeodon (Astronomy, astrophysics, physics)
- Visualisation (SciArt, SciComm, data visualization, creative coding)
- WxCloud.social (meteorology, climate, environment)
- writing.exchange (Creative Writing)
- Zirkus (literature, philosophy, film, music, culture, politics, history, architecture)
Contributions welcome! Feel free to add academic lists or new groups and submit a PR! Just make sure your additions are on topic. Feel free to reach out to us: @email@example.com and @firstname.lastname@example.org
This list is primarily maintained by Hendrik Erz (Linköpings Universitet). Below you can find ways to contact me in case you have individual questions regarding this collection of lists, or if you would report a potential opt-in violation (or similar issues).
PLEASE NOTE: This contact info is not meant to send me links to new lists. If you would like to add a list, please open a PR instead! In case that this somehow doesn’t work for you, you can also open an issue, state why the PR didn’t work, and provide the link to the list (and optionally the form). I receive dozens of work-related emails via the address below, so by keeping everything list-related here on GitHub I can keep that separated. Thank you very much for your understanding.